This is Fort John on the Laramie, or as it was also called, Fort Laramie. Situated at the confluence of the North Platte and Laramie Rivers, this was the stopping point for virtually all emigrants headed west. It was the first and only civilization in hundreds of miles. Here they rested resupplied and prepared for their climb over the Rockies. The Vanguard Company arrived here June 2, 1847. It was considered the halfway point and its significance on the Oregon Trail–critical.