Kanesville was for a time the headquarters of the Church. It began as Miller’s Hollow in 1846. When Winter Quarters was abandoned in 1848, the Church moved across the Missouri River and established a post office they first called Kane. It was later named Kanesville. Elder Orson Hyde of the Quorum of the Twelve became the presiding priesthood officer in Kanesville. By 1848 the call for the Saints in Europe to gather was renewed. More than 8,000 Latter-day Saint emigrants would pass through Kanesville on their way to the Salt Lake Valley. With the discovery of gold in California some 10,000 gold rushers would pass through Kanesville, thus helping to finance the Saints in their own journey west. By 1850, Kanesville was a prospering frontier city. By 1852, Kanesville was closed down and the Saints went west. The town was immediately renamed Council Bluffs.