Palmyra, New York was first settled in 1789 and was called Swift’s Landing after its founder, General John Swift. Then in 1796 the name was changed to Palmyra. By the summer of 1816, word had spread of cheap productive farmland in Palmyra. It was a place of promise and a thriving and growing community. The Smiths were settled in the village of Palmyra by the spring of 1817. This is the story of those early years in Palmyra leading up to the First Vision.